Friday, 20 February 2015

Becoming a make up artist

{Something I learnt from my myself}
Some people know exactly what they want to do with their life. At 5 years old, I was sure I wanted to be a makeup artist. I know this because I once found a journal from kindergarten where I wrote 'I want to be a makeup artist'. Simple. Guess I was a determined little kid. Which is odd; I don't normally finish much. Not even a cup of tea. Turns out though that when you want something, you just make it happen. One day at a time.
Actually I was determined to be an actress truth be told, but like any wise parent my mum told me to have a 'backup plan'. My twin sister was pursuing fashion designing and my older sister, well she was dux of her school. I guess when you don't know exactly what you want to do, you just have to ace everything, keep your options open.
Thankfully my mum is a go-getter herself so she felt makeup artistry was a reasonable sensible choice.  To many others over the years, makeup artistry sounded like a pipe dream. Teachers and other adults in my life would nod and smile and reach for just the right thing to say that wouldn't crush my hopes but would bring me down to earth. To put it into context, when I was growing up, very few people specialized as makeup artists. Thus I would often be corrected by those who thought I meant beautician or hairdresser. I can recall at some point in my growing up when I suddenly realized how often people were telling me I wanted to be a hair dresser or a beauty therapist and finding this very frustrating. Makeup just wasn't a real job to most people. I am very proud to say that I really am a makeup artist and even better than that I have a successful business that as well as providing me with a very respectable income allows me to do what I love, be creative and makeup women feel fabulous.
Photos of makeup and hair styling by Miss Nessi
A small selection of my work - want more?: Miss Nessi

What it takes to be a makeup artist

{How a makeup artist can stand out from the pack}
Make up to me is a creative release. I love it the way that I love painting and drawing. I don't go into a makeup job looking for ways to 'fix' or 'correct' something but instead I love to use light and shade to create depth and recreate shapes. Makeup and brushes are tools and I am an artist. To me this means that I can create something special with a few products and a few brushes and that any 'rule' is meant to be broken. I can turn lipstick into cream blush, concealer into highlighter and eye shadow in to brow shaper. As an artist you don't need to be caught up in the label and cosmetic industry jargon.
I love using my instinct for color to choose just the right shade of lip and cheek color even if that means mixing and building with many different brands.

Makeup like art is about building and blending and knowing exactly where to hold back. If I learnt anything in art class in year 12 it was knowing when to stop. A great artist can hold back mid way, because they know that where they're at in this piece is only part of the finished product and each element needs to flow and compliment each other. Your eye shadow shouldn't be plonked on there on it's own, it needs to flow into your eyeliner, and into the natural contours of your face. Just as you lip color needs to balance with the strength of your blush.
{Tip for upcoming makeup artists}
Me on the job - finishing touches. 
Knowing how to hold back is a trap for young players. Often you might find yourself so focused on getting a flawless foundation that you tend to forget you still have all the other features to do yet. It is so important to keep the end goal in mind. A makeup can look absolutely stunning with about half the amount of foundation that I often see used.  And in fact, a very flawless foundation can end up looking fake and over done once you finish the whole makeup. The same goes for big false lashes - bigger is not better. Bigger is over powering and heavy looking. Of using lots and lots of eye shadow but then not getting the depth in eyeliner and mascara. And by depth I mean the pitch blackness of eye liner, not the thickness. A great eye make has all the elements nicely balanced together. 



If you are just starting out, the best thing you can do for yourself is stay focused on the end game. Know where you are now and learn at every opportunity. Be honest with yourself but we kind too. Makeup artistry is an art form and all art forms take time and practice.


BeYou-tiful

No comments:

Post a Comment